Re: dynamic loader problem!

Nick Garnett wrote:

> catboy <b8844002@stmail.cgu.edu.tw> writes:
>

> > What's wrong??
> > Is there any helpful information??
> > I have reading the document in the loader package,
> > but I couldn't find out how to resolve this problems.
> >

> As the documentation in the loader package says, this work is
> incomplete. The standard toolchains we use for eCos generally have the
> dynamic library support disabled. Trying to use Linux toolchains has
> issues with code generation, ABIs and unprioritized
> constructors. While the loader itself is probably about 80% complete,
> the toolchain issues caused the original work to be mothballed.
>
> This needs to be revisited one day, but the solutions are far-reaching
> and non-trivial.

IMHO, this is not as simple as the only fault is due to the toolchain.
There is something that sounds odd to me with the job that we are requesting
to the linker for the kernel (ROM) part. In theory, we want to put it in a
fixed embedded memory location (possibly eliminating dead code) and at the other
end we request dynamicity (i.e. there is "the ELF interpreter" before
us that should resolve run-time linking). I guess that a linker implementer
would find that quite challenging.

--
Eric DONNAT

Silicomp Research Institute
2 avenue de Vignate, 38610 Gieres, France.
Phone +33 476 63 48 85   Fax +33 476 51 05 32
http://www.ri.silicomp.com