Re: shared object of CDL.

At Mon, 12 Aug 2002 15:02:09 +0900,
Masato Taruishi wrote:

> In the way to use a shared library, we can achieve it by only creating
> a wrapper to libcdl. This can
> be auto-generated by using swig (http://www.swig.org/) etc, or at least
> it makes easy to maintain. So we need both of them.

I was wrong. We could create a CDL plugin without the shared library.
The plugin itself is a shared library, but the plugin can link
libcdl.a statically.

I made a simple CDL plugin for ruby (http://www.ruby-lang.org/).
I can use cdl from a ruby script as follows:

~$ ruby -r cdl -e "db = Cdl::CdlPackagesDatabaseBody.make('/usr/src/ecos/packages'); puts db.get_component_repository"
/usr/src/ecos/packages

I compared two flavors of ruby CDL plugins, one uses libcdl shared
library and another is libcdl static library.

shared library:

(%:~/work/ecos/libruby-cdl)- ls -l cdl.so
-rwxr-xr-x    1 taru     taru        99088 2002-08-12 23:15 cdl.so*

static version:
(%:~/work/ecos/libruby-cdl)- ls -l cdl.so
-rwxr-xr-x    1 taru     taru      2284108 2002-08-12 23:16 cdl.so*

The static version is 23 times larger than the shared version.
So I guess we need the shared library of CDL as still.

> > Before we can make a switch to libtool, we need to be sure that we are
> > not going to break things for other users. Currently I can do test
> > builds under Linux and under Windows 98 with current net cygwin. I
> > would also want somebody to do testing on at least one other version
> > of Unix, e.g. Solaris. Also, it is important for now that we do not
> > break builds with Visual C++ since the current Windows GUI configtool
> > cannot be built under cygwin - and this is where there are likely to
> > be problems. I do not have a Visual C++ installation at present.
> >
> > Are there any volunteers willing to:
> >
> >   a) do some test builds on Unix systems other than Linux.

Sourceforge provides compile farms. Maybe we can use this.
Unfortunately, most compile farms are Debian, but one Solaris
machine seems to be available according to

http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=762&group_id=1

--
Debian Project http://debian.org/ - Masato Taruishi <taru@debian.org>