Re: Question about ecos server performance

On Tuesday 13 August 2002 00:41, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 01:54:38PM -0700, NavEcos wrote:
> > I have a customer that is interested in running eCos as an embedded
> > server.  He asked me how well eCos would handle up to1000
> > simultaneous IP (both TCP and UDP) connections and I couldn't
> > answer his question.
> >
> > Does anybody have similar experience?  For example a webserver or
> > a file server being under high stress with eCos at the core?
>
> To me eCos seems a strange choice. Something that can support 1000
> connections, is probably going to have a lot of memory and a fast
> processor. A linux based system sounds more appropriate. I would talk
> to your customer and find out more about the application.

They are building it around an XScale.  I know it sounds strange to
have so many connections, but it makes sense for what he's doing.
The other option is embedded Linux which I'm researching.

> The stacks are unix stacks, so should handle these number of
> connections. You will have to fiddle with the configuration a bit. Few
> embedded system need more than 32 sockets etc and each on takes
> memory. The default configuration will not support 1000. Select only
> supports 256 sockets, but that is a compile time option. The total
> number of file descriptors will also need expanding, but that again is
> a configuration option. I expect there are others which you won't find
> till you try it.

I'll check the configtool for the options.  He may want to use another
TCP/IP stack (proprietary) too.  I am just talking to him at this point.

> With some work, it should run. We run our devices at high CPU load
> without a problem, so that should also not be a problem either.

Really?

I have run into a problem when running a server on eCos.  I make
an application that does nothing but spit out data as fast as it can
and the box crashes.  My target is i386, the tip of tree, both net
stacks, using configtool 1.3 and 2.11.

If can send you my code, would you mind checking to see what
happens on your side?  I can send you my .cfg file as well.   The
stack is being corrupted in the server task.

>         Andrew

Thank you,
-Rich