Re: Problem with "target remote COM1"

At 15:55 20/08/2002 -0700, you wrote:
On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Kishorekumar D wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>   I am trying to connect to the Atmel ARM Evaluation
> board using the arm-elf-gdb debugger through the
> serial port. When I used the command
> "target remote COM1" it tries to connect to the board
> but gives the error message "Ignoring packet error.."
> and says that it was a malformed request.
> I also tried with Tera term pro to connect to the
> board through the serial port and it is successful in
> connecting to it.
> Can someone tell me what could be the problem?
use: "target remote com1"

There appears to be an intermittent problem manifesting
this problem with a Cygwin Win2000 Insight-GDB host
setup. Usually resetting the target (maybe a few times) and
starting GDB clears this.

Pete

What is "COM1"? :)

On linux you can specify the serial port by:

(gdb) target extended-remote /dev/ttyS0

In other words, you have to type this at the (gdb) command prompt. If you
select the target from within the Insight gui as Remote/Serial (or ARM
Serial), you'll see these packet errors on Linux too (at least I did).

I just found out how to do this today -- I'm finally moving my code to a
real target... The way I found out how to do this was by:

(gdb) help target

With the arm-elf-gdb I have (Insight 5.2), there are several choices for
serial ports. I tried them all until I found one that worked. Chances are
there may be a better (or at least better preferred) way.

Scott