Kernel API for PS application?

I'd like to write a simple "ps" (process status) type
application which will allow me to dump thread info
to the console at will, without firing up GDB. This
info would include thread status (e.g. SLEEPING, RUNNING...)
stack address, etc...

Has anyone done this before (and be willing to share the
source?) If not, what's the best place to go looking for
the proper hooks into the kernel for this info?  Eventually,
I'd like to do a "top" kind of routine also, which will
show CPU utilization... but that'll be for another day...

/Jim