AT91EB40 RedBoot install problems - solution!

I had the same problems reported on the list when trying to install RedBoot on my AT91EB40 board - I'd follow the instructions to the letter in the RedBoot manual, but after suspending gdb with ctl-Z, minicom wouldn't communicate with the board at all.

Then I lucked out - I started gdb (for the 1000th time!), went through the instructions up to the "lo" command, and then happened to start to search for stuff on the mailing list pertaining to this problem. When I got back to gdb after 40 minutes or so, I issued the "c" command, and sure enough, RedBoot started, as evidenced by the fact that all 3 LEDs lit up. Suspending gdb and starting minicom, I was finally able to communicate fine with RedBoot.

So it may all be a matter of timing - after the load command finishes, the board still isn't immediately ready to have the RedBoot RAM program started. I don't know how long is long enough to wait before issuing the continue command, but if the 3 LEDs don't light up, it wasn't long enough...
\
Jon

| |
| Jonathan C. Sevy |
| Geometric and Intelligent Computing Lab |
| Dept. of Mathematics and Computer Science |
| Drexel University |
| http://gicl.mcs.drexel.edu/sevy |