Spam on list

Hello from Gregg C Levine
I've been seeing a lot of spam on this list, over the past several months.
Is there some way to discourage these people from doing their repulsive and
wasteful acts? Specifically those that claim to be from someone from one of
the countries located in the continent of Africa. Frankly I don't believe
all of them. They are all scams, those posts. So, as a suggestion can the
list be reset so that to post to it, a person needs to be subscribed? And if
a person wants to subscribe his address needs to be verifiable. That should
not be a problem. Shouldn't it?
Gregg C Levine drwho8@worldnet.att.net
"Oh my!" The Second Doctor's nearly favorite phrase.