Re: Who's maintaining CVS

Koeller, T. wrote:
Gary,

as you certainly remember I wrote to you in private and asked
whether copyright assignments should still be made to Red Hat.
Your answer was that you were in the middle of negotiations
with Red Hat regarding this, and I should wait a couple of
days. Besides, nobody ever requested a copyright assignment
for the modular AT91 HAL from me. The only response I ever got
was from people like Tim who were working in related areas.
For the time being, please continue to assign to Red Hat. Some "official" maintainers are adding their own copyrights for now, but this is only a temporary phenomenon.

There is a couple of contributions I have submitted that have
not made int into CVS:

- The modular AT91 HAL
- The extended flash driver interface supportin a non-uniform
  sector layout. I also hav a flash chip driver for the
  AT49LV1604A that is based on this extended interface, and a
  patch to RedBoot enabling it to use this interface.

I would like to continue making contributions to ecos, but I
really have to say that I am a bit annoyed with the current
practice. I do of course understand that in a transitional
phase like the one we are currently living through things tend
to be more difficult than at other times. But community
contributions are the one vital factor of every open source
project, and the current practice is discouraging.
I agree completely. After a meeting today, I have been tasked with getting all outstanding patches in. (I believe) I have them all recorded, but it will take some time to get through them.

Other maintainers can also review and commit patches, but the buck stops with me. Hassle me :). Oh yes, you already did ;).

I strongly support the idea of a test farm. The CVS repository
should remain under tight control, because the quality of the
code base is crucial to the success of ecos. Although I tested
patches I very much dislike the idea of checking them into
the repository without them having been reviewed by others
independently.
Indeed that is one of the reasons for delays in patch approval. All patches are reviewed by hand. And indeed patches rarely get checked in unmodified. Due to lack of hardware availability, they are not likely to be tested unless the reviewer does possess the hardware.

--[ can rejoice because thorns have roses." -Lincoln ]-- Opinions==mine