Re: Spam on list

On Thursday 26 September 2002 09:17 am, Iztok Zupet wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-09-25 at 02:26, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> > > Better solution is to use a filter looking for well known web or other
> > > links in the message bodies. That works, but consumes more CPU time.
> >
> > I believe there is one already, maintained by hand[1]. May I suggest in
> > future, if you see a spam that you believe could be used with a filter
> > (e.g. a Nigerian scam one or whatever), to e-mail
> > sourcemaster@sources.redhat.com where (hopefully!) someone might be able
> > to act.
> >
> > I might be wrong, but here goes anyway :).
> >
> > Jifl
> > [1] The likes of SpamAssasin are very good, but can still be overkill.
>
> Mine is essentially a maildrop filter also maintained by hand. But the
> spammers that harvest this region are different that the ones on the
> mailing list, so it doesn't seem useful to combine the filters.
>
> iz

This is a huge thread, so I apologize for contributing to it.

I have a more effective solution which works for me nearly every time when it
comes to fraud emails:  Just respond to the spammers, and attach a virus.  It
is illegal to knowingly pass a virus around, but it's also illegal to commit
fraud.

Another (fun) solution is play dumb, make a million promises (I'm trying to
raise the money... the check is in the mail...  that bank account number
should be valid...), and waste their time.  I kept this up with one guy for 2
months.  Time is money, especially for these people.

It's very simple.  Make it unprofitable to contact you again or if it's
possible, costly.

-Rich