ecos w/ arm-thumb

I know this question has been asked before, but I have never seen a specific
answer: can the ecos libraries be built in thumb mode (and if so, what
modifications are necessary)?  I've been able to build the the tools (gcc
3.04 & binutils 2.11.2) and configure ecos such that thumb interworking is
operating properly; however, I still have not been able to build the ecos
libraries such that they will switch to thumb mode.  My processor only has a
16-bit bus, so not having two bus accesses for each arm instruction would
help performance and save space.  Any help (with detailed instructions)
would be greatly appreciated.

John