Insight/GDB 5.2 Extremely slow on nano target (ethernet debugging)

I'm using the precompiled Binary file of Redboot from the web, and I found
serial debugging works about as well as I could have expected considering
I'm talking at 38400 bps, but Ethernet is way too slow. Something is amiss.
It also seems to lock up, and generally be unstable (application quits
responding
to user input, I can close it down only by killing the task from the windows
2000 task list).

I'm using Insight 5.2 with a NanoEngine (strongArm) to run the tests
included in ECOS cvs sources, (such as the stress_threads test).

Insight is horribly slow  or else unstable when I use Ethernet.  Single
stepping either takes forever just locks right up. I'm running the
stress_threads test code from kernel tests.

If I go serial, single stepping works, but then downloads are
(understandably) slow, running at serial speeds. Any thoughts?

Regards,

Warren