downloading applications and ecos kernel

I have built the ecos net configuration and would like to do the testing.
The test applications are linked with the whole ecos build, right?  Somebody
told me that to build new applications with eCos, you have to reflash the
whole  thing.  What if I want to download two applications or two separate
functions to the platform?  Can I just put the applications on top of the
kernel ?
thanks.

mildred