Re: Procedural and General Information on new network(freebsd) package in cvs.

On Thu, 2002-11-07 at 11:57, Warren Postma wrote:
> I would like to try the new network stack on my nano engine.  I am a little
> confused how to add it in or build it.  For one thing I don't have an ECOS
> 1.4.x Package Admin Tool, and I'm pretty sure the 1.3 one must be busted
> right? <grin>
>
> Is there a step-by-step on this or do the old tutorial pages or instructions
> on this related specifically to the new tcpip stack still apply?
>  http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/tcpip/tcpip.2.html ).
>
> In particular what is the current CVS code's way of interpreting this
> statement:
> >  [tcpip support] is installed by adding the file net-10b y .epk where y is
> the
> > minor version number of this release (located in the root of the software
> distribution)

You don't need to mess with this at all.

> What's the minor version number in latest CVS ECOS sources? Also, I don't
> have an ECOS version 1.4 "GUI Package Administration Tool"? Do I have a
> command line equivalent? I'm a little stumped.

Make sure you have the full CVS.  Then simply choose to build using
the "new_net" template.

> Also I wonder if the previous 'tests' code all was applied and working on
> the new TCP/IP stack. In particular is 'tcp_echo' working?  Has anyone done
> this test before on the NanoEngine target? What is the
> stablility/performance so far of the new FreeBSD stack versus the old
> OpenBSD one? I understand the old one is broken in various ways.

Like how?  None that I'm aware of.

As for testing, etc, the new stack runs all of the tests (plus some).
There are no API changes necessary to use it.

Gary Thomas                  |
eCosCentric, Ltd.            |
+1 (970) 229-1963            |  eCos & RedBoot experts
gthomas@ecoscentric.com      |
http://www.ecoscentric.com/  |