Re: ecosconfig - disabling printf?

    Scott> On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, Andrew Lunn wrote:
    >> On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 07:28:53AM -0800, Scott Dattalo wrote:
    >> > Harri,
    >> >
    >> > It's not that simple. To implement your suggestion requires that the eCos
    >> > source be modified. The whole idea of the CDL is to configure eCos - not
    >> > modify it. I'm fairly certain there's a way to disable printf (and
    >> > friends) via CDL. Since posting the original query I've deleted every
    >> > package that I could. However, I'm starting to suspect that there's a
    >> > dependency buried in the bowels of the arm/at91 source code that is
    >> > forcing (v)printf to be linked with my executable. If that's the case,
    >> > then well, I'll modify the eCos source in the short term. Then when
    >> > T[io]m's patches are committed to CVS I'll re-visit the issue.
    >> >
    >> > Scott
    >>
    >> The linker map may help you out here. It should be possible to find
    >> out which objects reference (v)printf.
    >>
    >> Never actually tried this.....

    Scott> Hi Andrew,

    Scott> Examining the source, I see the vprintf is referenced by
    Scott> many, many I/O related functions. Essentially anything that
    Scott> needs formatted strings appears to reference vprintf (this
    Scott> includes diag_printf).

This is not the best way to go about this. Amongst other issues
diag_printf() calls _vprintf(), not vprintf(), and _vprintf() only
provides a small subset of the full printf() functionality.

If you want to find out which functions are called where, use the "nm"
command appropriate to your architecture e.g. arm-elf-nm. If you use
"nm" on libtarget.a, libextras.a, and vectors.o in install/lib of your
build tree you will get full info about all functions provided and
needed by the various eCos modules.

For example, for a synthetic target build I see the following:

$ nm install/lib/libtarget.a
hal_synth_arch_synth_entry.o:
         U __CTOR_END__
         U __CTOR_LIST__
00000000 T _linux_entry
         w cyg_assert_fail
         U cyg_assert_msg
00000000 T cyg_hal_invoke_constructors
         U cyg_hal_sys_brk
         U cyg_hal_sys_exit
         U cyg_start
         U synth_hardware_init
         U synth_hardware_init2

So hal/synth/arch/current/src/synth_entry.c provides functions
_linux_entry and cyg_hal_invoke_constructors(), and requires
cyg_assert_msg(), cyg_hal_sys_brk(), etc.

I have not looked at all the output, but a quick glance indicates that
the network stack use sprintf(), possibly unnecessarily. Linker
garbage collection may well eliminate some or all of those uses for a
typical application. For example inet_ntop() uses sprintf(), and
in eCos inet_ntop() is used only getaddrinfo(). So if application code
uses either getaddrinfo() or inet_ntop() then that will cause
sprintf() to be pulled. It is much easier to find this sort of
information from the nm output than from the entire eCos source tree.

Bart