Re: danamic loading

Gary Thomas <gthomas@ecoscentric.com> writes:

> On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 12:39, max wrote:
> > I would like to be able to load my "object file"
> >  dynamicly, much like the way VxWorks does.
> > How can that be done?
>
> Since this is not the normal mode for eCos, the only way
> would be for you to write code to support the operation.
>
> If you look [way] back in the archives, there was some
> work done on this years ago, but it's not part of eCos today.

That work is still part of the repository, in services/loader, but it
was never completed. There were issues with the toolchains. Look at
doc/notes.txt in there for details.

The support that was being developed was for proper dynamic libraries,
identical to the .so libraries in Linux, and similar to DLLs in
Windows. VxWorks allows the loading of .o object files. This relies a
lot on support from Tornado: to feed just the useful parts of the
object file to the target, to allow the debugger to see the loaded
module and so on. We don't have any of this in eCos.

--
Nick Garnett - eCos Kernel Architect
http://www.eCosCentric.com/