help needed for testing ROM image & Q about gdb

Environment:

10/28/2002 snapshot of eCos, Cirrus Logic 7312 template with default packages;
target is Cirrus Login 7312 development board.

Successful :

built redboot and eCos lib for RAM startup, built the lcd_test program included
in the distribution linked with the eCos library. Use gdb download to run the
program and works fine (LCD shows expected printouts and diag_printf shows
up from gdb on host)

Failure:

built eCos lib for ROM startup, built the same test with the library, used
arm-elf-objcopy to convert it into .bin and downloaded onto the flash. Reset
the target and sees nothing on the LCD (the test is supposed to write sth. onto
lcd and then do while(1) on test exit). Tried to get gdb talking to the target
(ecos was built with gdb stub) and getting timeout eventually, however it
seems to have got some junk, and even pieces of diag_printf() that says
"LCD test here!" which makes me believe that the test is somewhat running
on the target.

My question:

In such a case, what can I do to figure out what is wrong? What is an effective
way to debug in flash execution mode using gdb? (since gdb no longer has
control till the program starts running?) I know the physical serial is working
fine since I can burn the redboot back and download/ran the same test.
Even in RAM startup mode, there is sth. strange: If I start redboot, then
get the host to talk to target through gdb, it was never successful the first
time (does not get acks) till I reset the target while the host keeps trying
"target remote com1" (this is in RAM startup mode of course). Is this
a reasonable behavior of gdb stubs?

Appreciate any help in advance.

Yin