problem with xwindows in linux

Hi!  has anybody encountered problems with xwindows while using ecos ?
we were doing just fine and installed ecos/tools and were able to build net
configuration for assabet.  we're also done downloading it to the platform
using gdb.  we were using the xwindows environment, but we used  arm-elf-gdb
manually.  however, xwindows failed to start when we tried to use it again.
please help, we don't really have any idea what the problem is.
thanks in advance ...

mildred