Separate bss sections for kernel and application

I have a quick question:

Is there any way of setting the build system up so that the target binary
contains two bss sections (with separate names)?

The problem is that we have a lot of very old code that contains lots of
global variables that need to be preserved on power-up/down. The ideal
solution would be to separate the kernel (target.a) library bss section from
application's bss section. This would allow us to reset all the kernel data
but keep the application data intact on start-up. It would take too long to
re-design/re-code our application so we need a compile time solution.

We have tried specifying separate paths to the library and application
objects within the target.ld file with no success and any suggestions would
be gratefully welcomed.

Mark Retallack
Product Development
Siemens Traffic Control
Sopers Lane
Poole
Dorset
BH17 7ER

WWW: http://www.siemenstraffic.com
Email: Mark.Retallack@siemens.com
Direct Telephone: 01202 782931
Fax: 01202 782545

Siemens Plc
Registered office: Siemens House, Oldbury, Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 8FZ.
Registered no: 727817, England.

This communication contains information which is confidential and
may also be privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the addressee.
If you are not the addressee please note that any distribution,
reproduction, copying, publication or use of this communication
or the information in it is prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please contact us immediately and also
delete the communication from your computer.