Re: Capacity problem?

On Thu, 2002-12-19 at 07:31, Daniel Lidsten wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a quite strange problem with my mcp823e board. Recent to now i
> have only developed SW and used a BDM to download it to the board. It
> has worked fine! However, i want to be able to boot the board from flash
> and that's where my problem is. It seems like sometimes when i boot from
> flash and i issue like three large ping (65k) then the board says
> "warning: Out of mbufs". This havent occured for several month when
> using the BDM as startup for the board. It doesn't come everytime
> eighter and if it doesn't appear then i can send almost unlimited data
> to the board (i've tried a few Gb)
>
> Worth mentioning is that i use the exact same SW for flash executing and
> BDM download.
>
> Any idea of what can be wrong?
>
> I have looked for registers that the BDM sets when it is connected and
> that maight differ when it's not but the values set when executing from
> flash seems reasonable.

The most obvious thing I can think of is that typically code
executes much slower (sometimes an order of magnitude) slower
from FLASH than it would from RAM.  For really large network
data, the system may simply not be able to keep up (saturating
the buffers before it can respond, etc).

Also, on the MPC8xx, you might want to tune the number of data
buffers.  The defaults I put in are very conservative and could
easily be swamped.

Gary Thomas                 |
MLB Associates              |  Consulting for the
+1 (970) 229-1963           |    Embedded world
http://www.mlbassoc.com/    |
email: <gary@mlbassoc.com>  |
gpg: http://www.chez-thomas.org/gary/gpg_key.asc