Re: OpenBSD and FreeBSD question? Thanks!

Gary D. Thomas wrote:
On Tue, 2003-01-07 at 14:10, Jonathan Larmour wrote:

Gary D. Thomas wrote:

On Sun, 2003-01-05 at 09:52, jameshq@liverpool.ac.uk wrote:

Hi all:
Can anyone tell me what's the difference between the OpenBSD(net
template) TCP/IP Stack and the FreeBSD TCP/IP Stack(new_net template)?

For using FreeBSD Does anything(the device driver) needs to be
changed?

If the current device driver support the OpenBSD, will it be suitable
for the FreeBSD without change?

(I can compile my deviece driver for the OpenBSD without problem, but
when I tried to use the FreeBSD
I encounter some problem, do I need to redesign the device driver?)

The device drivers should be compatible (no changes required).
The major difference at this time is that the new stack does
not support SNMP (i.e. you can't build the SNMP package if
you select "new_net")
Although in this particular case, it could be some subtle header file change, since there are quite a few differences between the ports in there.

Perhaps if you quote the error and the lines affected....

Sadly, there seems to be much more to it than that :-(
Sorry, insufficient snippage on my part. I was referring to James's original problem ("in this particular case").

> The
SNMP code has a very incestuous relationship with the network
stack code (peeking directly into data structures, etc) and
the details between the two stacks are quite different, especially
in the areas in question.

I did look at the latest SNMP code - it holds promise since the
level of incest is lower - but it would still be major effort
to get it into eCos.

Bottom line - the current SNMP package is broken with the new stack
and getting one to work won't happen soon.

Of course, I'm happy to be proven wrong :-)
I'm sure a new port of the net snmp stuff is the only real answer.