Re: POSIX and uITRON question.(system level and applicationlevel?)

On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 18:22, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 10:25:17PM -0000, Qiang Huang wrote:
> > Hi all:
> >    Is POSIX for:  Portable **Operating System** Interface
> >        uITRON for: It specifies an **application interface** for real-time
> > systems.
> >
> > Does it mean: POSIX is standard for operating System level and uITRON is
> > standard for application(level) interface to OS ?
>
> No.
>
> Both specify an API that applications use to access OS services
> and functions.  They are alternate "wrappers" for the basic
> eCos kernel API.
>
> I don't know whether it's possible to configure/use a system
> that has both Posix and uITRON packages.  In theory it should
> be, but there may be implimentation practicalities that prevent
> it.

I seem to recall that we (the eCOs team) discussed this and decided
that it would not work properly (uItron tasks are not very friendly
with POSIX threads).  It also doesn't make much sense (at least not
to me) - they are somewhat opposing ways of writing a realtime system.

--
|       Mind: Embedded Linux and eCos Development        |