Re: Axiom CMD561 - BDM debugger recommendations please

Hi Ian,

Well, I haven't actually tried the Abatron BDI1000/2000, but I'm farly positive You'll get it to work without hassle - regardless if You're on a Linux host or on a Windows/Cygwin host since it has Ethernet support. These debuggers can use the native remote gdb protocol, for which a number of different debugger software products have support. In an eCos environment, I guess using the Abatron together with gdb (and optionally Insight or DDD or something like that) would be the natural choice.
This scheme (HW debugger + gdb) is conceptually equal to what we're doing with our Jeeni's from EPI over here for ARM/JTAG debugging, and it works quite fine.

On the other hand, if You're anyway biting the bullet and investing a rather large amount of money into an In-Cirquit-Debugger, I think I should also mention a higher-end alternative:
We have recently invested in Lauterbach's Trace32 Powerdebug stuff, and the native host-level software coming together with that product is simply the most powerful ICD-software I've ever seen! And somewhat to my surprise, I discovered that not only did it run perfectly as a native Linux application on my Linux development host, but it did even have a module for eCos kernel awareness :-) I guess a Lauterbach Trace32 BDM package would cost approx the double of an Abatron, but if You're anyway investing I'd say it might be worth it.

Good luck, /Kjell
--
Kjell Svensson Embedded Technology Manager
Techtribe Solutions AB Tel: +46 (0)31 706 06 00

Ian Gilmour wrote:
Ok. I'm going to bite the bullet and get a BDM debugger to help me out here
- I'll definitely need it when I come to bringing up an in-house board in
the future anyway.

So - any recommendations (target MPC561)?

Anyone had any experience with the Abatron BDI1000/2000?

Any others I should consider?

cheers,

Ian