CRC check on serial comm to redboot

Does redboot perform some kind of error check, such as CRC, on the file
received via TFTP?

I'm having problems when I use a serial cable to upload my elf-file to my
target. I keep getting what seems to be random Illegal Instructions or
Segfaults. Is it possible that an erroneous file transfer can cause this
without redboot being able to notice it?

Is there an obvious workaround? (Note: I have to use the serial port for
debugging.)

Cheers,
Magnus