RE: Problems with kernel booting.

I am Cc'ing the eCos-discuss list for this since I know there are folks
there who are playing with RedBoot on the ixp425.  I am not too sure how
much I can help you, since I don't know anything about the device.

It is possible that you don't need to use the "exec" command, but now that I
think about it some more, I don't think it is likely.  (In addition to
shutting down the MMU, the "exec" command also loads up the registers and
the tagged parameters list the way that the ARM-Linux kernel likes to see
them at boot, something that the "go" command does not do.)

It may be as simple as enabling CYGBLD_BUILD_REDBOOT_WITH_EXEC in your
ecos.ecc file (for your version of RedBoot) and making sure that the CDL
file for the ixp425 HAL sets sane values for
CYGHWR_REDBOOT_ARM_LINUX_EXEC_ADDRESS_DEFAULT and
CYGHWR_REDBOOT_ARM_TRAMPOLINE_ADDRESS.

It might be even easier than all that, perhaps all you need to do is to
define HAL_PLATFORM_MACHINE_TYPE appropriately in the ixp425 HAL file.

Or, you could ask Intel.

--wpd