Re: simple ping test question.thanks

"Qiang Huang" <jameshq at liverpool dot ac dot uk> writes:

> Hi all:
>    I am building a ethernet device driver and I would like to do some simple
> test on it(it is not fully tested). I want to setup the board so it can ack
> the outside "ping" ICMP so I can ping the board from pc and get the ack on
> PC, so which test program in the /net/ I can use for this purpose? When the
> freebsd stack is included and after calling "
> init_all_network_interfaces();" and start the scheduler is the ICMP function
> included already? if so does it means I can just init the network interface
> and start the scheduler? am I wrong anywhere thanks a lot.

The approach we always take is to bring an ethernet device driver up
in RedBoot first. This is a polled environment so you can concentrate
on getting the device to work before having to deal with
interrupts. The only real disadvantage is that you have to debug using
diag_printf()s rather than GDB -- but single stepping this kind of
driver doesn't really work anyway.

In RedBoot you can ping the interface from elsewhere, and run ping
from RedBoot.

Once it is running in RedBoot it is usually relatively easy to add
interrupt handling for use in eCos. Here the best test program is
usually ping_test, which pings a given server. You can also ping
it from the outside.