Re: trying to build eCos...

Paul M. Øverby wrote:
yeah, been across it acouple of times - but until recently I did not
understand that gcc and arm-elf-gcc was built from the same source.

Ah, oh well :).

But the very "building" part is just a new problem! So I have been looking
for executables of this version already built as arm-elf-gcc, only to
realize that I'll never find it...
So, back to building it (something that will probably generate just as many
problems as trying to build the eCos lib - wich is my original problem!).
First issue - I'm supposed to point the envir variable CC to my gcc.exe. But
I don't have a gcc, that is what I am trying to build in the first case
right ?! I REALLY don't get this....

You don't need to. The safest option all round is to follow http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/install-windows.html and do the "downloading and installing the development tools". For arm-elf certainly 2.95 will do.

Alternatively if you're prepared to wait till later this week or next week the eCos 2.0 beta will be out and will come with prebuilt toolchains. We're in the final stages of beta release candidate testing now. <commercial plug>And you can preorder a CDROM version from http://www.ecoscentric.com/ which will save download time and make things slightly easier to use</commercial plug>. It's the same stuff as publically released though so if you have a fat link you may not need to.

It says cygwin is supposed to come with a gcc.exe version, but ofcourse it
doesn't...

It's not included by default. Run setup.exe again and find it in the package list.