Re: redboot startup type/gdb

Zi Zhou wrote:
Hi,

I am relatively new to eCos and its tools.

My question is, in order to use cross-gdb to connect to a remote target
that runs redboot, does the redboot has to be built as a ROM monitor?

My set up:

target: IDT79eb438, ecos 2.0 from cvs repository, HAL package from IDT
for the board. cross gdb built from GDB5.3.

I built Redboot with RAM startup type( currently I don't have flash
programming capability in my lab), which disabled
CYGSEM_HAL_ROM_MONITOR, I do include ' include GDB stubs in HAL' and
'include GDB external break support for stubs'  though.  Then I run
Redboot on target's RAM,  and on the host side I run the cross gdb
Here is what I did and got,

Even a RAM startup RedBoot will expect some things to have been done for it at boot time, and indeed stuff covered by CYGSEM_HAL_ROM_MONITOR would be one of those things.

Certainly on MIPS you have to worry about where the exception vectors are going to go to. I would doubt RAM is mapped to 0xbfc00000 on your board! And that's where a MIPS chips expects the exception/interrupt vectors to be.