Re: problems compiling host tools

Aldo Dolfi wrote:
Thank you for the answer.

I made some tries, but I did not get what exactly you meant by starting from 1.3.1 and upgrading to CVS.
If I run cvs checkout in the 1.3.1 tree I get errors that say a lot of files are in the way. Updating is not possible either because that tree has not CVS directories.

You have to check out to an empty directory.

Anyway, I found out that the normal cvs co described in the site does not check out the host directory. I had to check it out separately. I was able to compile the host tools.

You could have just downloaded prebuilt host tools from the web page I quoted I'm afraid!

> Then, in a separate directory
(jessica) and I ran
ecosconfig new pc
ecosconfig tree
make
and this went on without pb.
In a new directory (jessica2) I tried to build the hello.c example. I did
SRCS=hello.c DST=hello ../ecos-cvs/examples/build_Makefile ../jessica
and then
make

and I got the linking errors in the attached file. [snip]
> /home/dolfi/ecos/jessica/install/lib/libtarget.a(kernel_thread.o)(.text._Z41__static_initialization_and_destruction_0ii+0x2b): In function `__static_initialization_and_destruction_0(int, int)':
/home/dolfi/ecos/jessica/install/include/cyg/kernel/thread.inl:254: undefined reference to `__dso_handle'

This is odd. This implies eCos was built without "-fno-exceptions -fno-rtti". But unless you changed the configuration to use different flags (as the commands you wrote above indicate) that really shouldn't happen.

How did you build the i386-elf-gcc? Or where did you get it from?