Re: Problems receiving packets on i82559

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 03:38:38PM +0530, Nikhil R. wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> As per ur earlier mail we noticed that we were receiving interrupts only
> during the send process. So we called eth_drv_start at the beginning of our
> initialization procedure and this made us receive some interrupts but stopped
> again after sometime.
>
> If we look at the BSD code, all the applications call the function
> init_all_network_interfaces. Without calling this function  it seems like
> even the BSD code does not receive any interrupts.

If you don't call init_all_network_interfaces, the interface will be
down. You cannot send/receive IP packets with the interface down
etc. This is explained in the documentation about the network stacks.

Debug the system using one of the standard test programs, eg
ping_test.c. That way you know at least the test code works correctly.

Gary suggested that the MAC address could be wrong. Have you
investigated this? Have you enabled the debug code in the i82559
driver so it prints out the MAC address etc. Is it valid?

I suggested you check the IRQ number being registered. Have you done
this? Is it correct for your hardware?

What is you hardware platform anyway?

     Andrew