Re: SCC driver for 8xx PowerPC processors

On Tue, 2003-03-11 at 09:47, Paul Randall wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>
> I have attached to this e-mail the files for the QUICC SCC1/2 serial driver,
> ported from the QUICC2 SSC1/2 drivers.  I was able to send and receive data
> over the Viper's SCC1 to a Windows PC running HyperTerminal.  The code is
> still a separate package from the QUICC SMC1/2 driver.
>
> I agree with you that the SMC and SCC should be integrated into the same file
> and package but I'm not sure the best way to do this.  Do driver functions
> have to be duplicated for SMC and SCC (i.e smc_putc and scc_putc) ?  Or should
> there be a single function for both which determines whether it is working on
> a SMC device or a SCC device?  The location of buffer descriptors for the
> different serial channels also needs to be addressed.
>
> I commented out some code in quicc_scc_serial_init which resets the entire
> Communications Processor.  This was killing my debug connection running over
> SMC1.  I'm not sure if this should be removed.
>
> I noticed a few differences between the structure of the QUICC and QUICC2
> serial drivers.  The QUICC SMC drivers have most #defines in the .c file
> rather than the .h file while the QUICC2 SCC drivers have most #defines in the
> .h file.  Also the passing of data between the quicc_sxc_serial_init and
> quicc_sxc_serial_init_info is different.  While we're integrating the SCC and
> SMC driver, should we also try to make the QUICC and QUICC2 drivers more
> consistent?

I'll look at this and let you know (BTW I really wasn't expecting you to
send the whole thing to the entire list)

As for the differences between the QUICC and QUICC2 drivers: the QUICC2
stuff was contributed and is very different from how the eCos team (at
least me) does things in style.  I'd like to see those drivers more like
the original QUICC ones, but I've not the time to make such changes.

--
|       Mind: Embedded Linux and eCos Development        |