Re: Difficulty finding 82559-based cards

"Paul van Zyl" <pvz at worldonline dot co dot za> writes:

> Hello, please help?
>
> I am reading the eCos book of Anthony Massa, and am now at chapter11, and
> want to set up the development platform with two 82559 based network cards.
> I tried to get the Intel PRO/100+ adapter, which has the 82559.(Code
> PILA8460B)  However, this card has been discontinued by Intel in April 2001,
> with Intel recommending the use of the Intel Pro/100S (order code
> PILA8460C3) However, the /S does not have an 82559, but rather an 82550.
> Several places still advertize the PILA8460B, with the IT sales people
> swearing that it will have an 82559 on, but when I order and it arrives, its
> got the 82550. (Happened 2x now!) I could not find other suppliers of
> 82559-based network cards. Can I use the Pro/100S, or should I order an
> industrial motherboard with an 82559 onboard? (At least when you order
> something industrial, you get exactly what you have ordered.)

Anything that claims to be an Intel PRO/100 should have a suitable
controller on it. I have a PRO/100S which has what purports to be a
82550 on the board. It works fine with both eCos and Linux 82559
drivers.

The important thing is the device ID it advertises on the PCI bus. So
long as it is one of the values looked for in the device driver it
will work. It is possible that a very new device will have an ID that
we do not recognize, but the 82550 is already in there.