Re: Re: Problem using "go" command

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 04:19:22PM -0700, Gary D. Thomas wrote:

> > Make sure your console terminal is plugged into UART0 and not
> > UART1.  You can do RedBoot from either, but the Linux console
> > is only on UART0.
> >
> > > I am not familiar with the RedBoot port to the IXP-425, but,
> > > most likely, you should use the "exec" command instead of the
> > > "go" command.
> >
> > I use "go" on the IXP-425 and it works just fine.
>
> 'exec', when available, is normally better as it gives one a
> chance to pass command lines to the Linux kernel, gives the
> kernel information about the platform, etc.  Also, on many
> pieces of hardware (most ARM platforms), the memory map used by
> eCos is not physical 1-1 and this can give grief to the Linux
> kernel during it's bootstrap process.

That got me curious, so I just checked: the version of RedBoot
that Intel ships for the IXP425 doesn't have the "exec"
command. Based on changelog entries, it looks like a CVS
snapshot from about 14 months ago.  The last entry in RedBoot's
ChangeLog is from 2002-01-10.

Too bad Intel didn't contribute the 425 port back so that we'd
have a more recent version available...

--
Grant Edwards
grante at visi dot com