Re: Max number of priorities using mlqueue scheduler

Nick Garnett wrote:
Nick Garnett <nickg at ecoscentric dot com> writes:

What's needed is to add a two-level bitmap. This is something I
started working on some time ago, but other commitments meant that it
was sidelined. Also, this is a fundamental change to the eCos
scheduler. It's something I would only be happy checking in to an
experimental branch for prolonged testing. Putting it straight into
the CVS repository is a big risk.

Daniel,

If you are interested in living on the edge, I have dusted off the
two-level bitmap stuff I mentioned. I have only tested it on a few of the
more thread-intensive kernel tests, and only with 32 and 1024 priority
levels. No guarantees.

I wouldn't be so hesitant at checking it into the trunk... the fun only starts when you set the priorities greater than 32. Bear this feature in mind for a test farm permutation though :-).

One comment is that of course if we have 64 bit primitives available anyway on an architecture, we should consider using those directly.