Re: FOSDEM 2003 report

Jonathan Larmour <jifl at eCosCentric dot com> writes:

> David N. Welton wrote:

> >>However I know Bart has plans to try and do more TCL/Tk things,
> >>particularly given the future requirements of CDL scripts. However
> >>pretty much everyone else doesn't like the non-native
> >>look-and-feel of TK widgets.

> > My impression was that modern Tcl/Tk versions have pretty good
> > native look and feel on Windows.

> The omens aren't good on Unix when it comes to GNOME/GTK or KDE, but
> perhaps that's a little too much to hope :-).

What do you mean?  Tk certainly doesn't look like either one of those,
at this point, but that's to be expected.

> Does anyone have an example of a really good Tk app on Windows? With
> screen shots? I've found TkPaint
> <http://mars.netanya.ac.il/~samy/tkpaint.html> which I admit looks
> better than I remember from the last time I ran TCL, but some of the
> fonts still look odd for example (could be that particularl user's
> setup).

Here are some screenshots provided by a friend of mine.  Not in
English, but you can see how things look visually.

http://www.dq-e.com/_data/dqe1.png
http://www.dq-e.com/_data/dqe2.png
http://www.dq-e.com/_data/dqe3.png

> Although the other factor I didn't mention but is relevant to
> consider is drawing/update speed. Tk apps have had a tendency to
> feel slow and clunky. If this is all resolved then indeed going with
> Tk would be perfectly alright IMO!

Tcl and Tk are only getting faster, and so are modern computers.

Something like this: http://mini.net/tcl/8572 certainly doesn't run as
fast as it would in C, but I think that for non
computationally-intensive GUI's, Tk is more than adequate.

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/