Re: Re: A Build and a debug question

Geoff wrote:

Q1) Re: the build warnings. They were mainly associated with the network stack files. I was just trying to ascertain if some warnings were to be expected. I thought it might be indicative that I had done something wrong in the OS build and hence might be related to my gdb problem

Nah, don't worry. A lot of the warnings from both the networking stack and the SNMP stack are because they are sources imported from elsewhere. While 100% warning cleanliness is a good goal in general, it's also inadvisable to perturb imported sources too much for the sake of future merges.

Q2)
Sorry for my unfamiliarity with this but I had not even spotted a section in
the config tool for specifyng start up options. I think the gdb error
appeared when I switched from the default package (no network stack) to the
new_net package. Hopefully I am using a Ram Only start-up type on the Viper
board. I have had a quick search through the docs but cant find much on
start-up options.

This may be a silly suggestion, but given what the warning actually said, are you sure you are running "powerpc-eabi-gdb" and not just "gdb"?

Otherwise, it certainly implies some problem with the remote protocol (which is based on hex strings). Is it repeatable? As Gary suggests, trying the eCos tests would be a good idea as it reduces the possibility of problems with building the executables.

If you still have no joy you should let us know a) how you built your application (compile and link line etc.) and b) how you are running GDB (command line and commands).