fis from the application

Hi all,

Am am working on a system that gets its configuration information from a
read_only filesystem which is stored as a fis image in flash. The system
can be remotely accessed via ethernet / telnet.

I'd like to have the possibility to (1) load a new filesystem image
using ftp to the target, (2) save it to the fis system, (3) remount the
filesystem and (4) reboot the system.

This is of course possible using redboot from a serial port, but then
you need physical access to the target. I'd like to do it remotely.

I was first thinking of including ethernet support into redboot, but
that does not seem to be the way to go as I can not see how to remotely
reboot the system and then prevent it from executing its startup script
and booting the application.

Everything to implement this functionality from the application seems to
be present except for the (2). Are there any plans to extend the virtual
vector table with entries to create / delete / list entries from the fis
in the near future ? If not, what would be the best approach towards
implementing it myself ?

The same approach could be equally usefull for doing software updates on
a running system to which you do not have direct access (provided that
there is enough free ram). Log in remotely, delete the fis entry that
corresponds to the running application, download and save a new image
and finally reboot the system

Bob

ir. Bob Koninckx
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
Division Production Engineering,                   tel.  +32 16 322535
Machine Design and Automation                      fax.  +32 16 322987
Celestijnenlaan 300B                  bob dot koninckx at mech dot kuleuven dot ac dot be
B-3001 Leuven Belgium               http://www.mech.kuleuven.ac.be/pma