Re: fis from the application

Bob Koninckx wrote:
Hi all,

Am am working on a system that gets its configuration information from a
read_only filesystem which is stored as a fis image in flash. The system
can be remotely accessed via ethernet / telnet.

I'd like to have the possibility to (1) load a new filesystem image
using ftp to the target,

FTP or TFTP? RedBoot supports the latter but not (yet) the former, although it could always be done of course. So I assume you mean in the application in fact.

(2) save it to the fis system, (3) remount the
filesystem and (4) reboot the system.

This is of course possible using redboot from a serial port, but then
you need physical access to the target. I'd like to do it remotely.

I was first thinking of including ethernet support into redboot, but
that does not seem to be the way to go as I can not see how to remotely
reboot the system and then prevent it from executing its startup script
and booting the application.

With the boot script timeout you should probably have a window of opportunity to connect I think.

Everything to implement this functionality from the application seems to
be present except for the (2). Are there any plans to extend the virtual
vector table with entries to create / delete / list entries from the fis
in the near future ? If not, what would be the best approach towards
implementing it myself ?

Future yes, near probably not. The first stage of the planned solution would be implementing a device driver as per http://sources.redhat.com/ml/ecos-discuss/2003-01/msg00385.html

That device driver, which would use virtual vectors to talk to redboot, would then be usable by both RedBoot and eCos applications.