Re: ecos for ATLAS (MIPS 4Kc)

"Michael Anburaj" <embeddedeng at hotmail dot com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> After a year I am back to work on the MIPS atlas port for my personal
> Atlas board.
>
> I pulled the ecos source from the CVR repository using ecos as Tag.
>
> I feel that some things have changed drastically. I tried building the
> example code (hello.c).

Some things have changed. I recently brought the Atlas port up to full
eCos specification, it was RedBoot only before. However, these changes
were not drastic, just some relatively minor tweaks.

> Problems I faced:
>
> 1. Compilation error with the math lib files.
> Workaround: I disabled the Math library to get passed this.
>
> 2. Linker options fatal-warnings not recognized by ld.
> Workaround: I changed -WI, fatal-warnings to -WI.... This option is
> under infra build options >> Additional linker flags.

It looks to me like your toolchain is out of date. We are now moving
over to a 3.x based toolchain, it probably has some different
options. There are now prebuilt downloadable versions of the tools for
mipsisa32-elf. Follow the links from the eCos web site download
section to find them (I'm not online at present, so I cannot give you
the URL).

> 3. When I ran the hello example program (with the terminal utility
> connected to the Serial0 & Serial1 at 115200 bauds).
>
> Observation: Serial0: sent a GDB packet, & Serial1: nothing
>
> When I looked at the build options under ecos HAL >> MIPS architecture
> >> Atlas eval board >> no of comm channels on the board == 1.
>
> I would think it to be 2. Why?

It's all set up to use the DbgSer channel by default. That's all
that's currently supported. The PdSer port is driven by the SAA9730
while the DbgSer port is driven by a separate 16550 UART. We currently
use the SAA9730 only for the ethernet device, and the infrastructure
is not present to handle the serial device.

> ecos HAL >> MIPS architecture >> Atlas eval board >> Debug serial port
> & Diagnostic serial port are both configured to be 0.
>
> Note: In the past I have seen printfs sending stuff though one of the
> Serial ports.

Just DbgSer I suspect.

> Does somebody have an explanation for these changes that I see? Or did
> I use the wrong tag (ecos) to pull the source?

Yep. A year is a long time in software. :-)