USB Help

I am starting a project in which we are building a device that will, on
occasion, need to connect to a Windows PC to download control and
configuration information via USB.  Since I don't want to have to write (and
maintain!) any windows device drivers, I thought I would make my device show
up as a "standard" RS-232 USB device.  I was wondering...

1) Is this feasible?

2) Can anybody give me a good starting point to come up to speed quickly on
USB?  (Right now, I can't even spell USB, but that will change rapidly.)

3) The Windows application developers are all Java developers, and they are
excited about the possibility of communicating with the device via COM7 (or
whatever).  Is there a better approach that I should consider?

Any hints will be greatly appreciated.

--wpd