Re: What processor to use?

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 09:47:10PM +0100, Paul Taylor wrote:

> I am designing an embedded board which needs an ethernet connection.  I
> am considering using ECOS

I'd suggest using eCos instead.. ;)

> (1) Is there a better hardware solution to run ECOS on (other that the
> two chips solution mentioned above)

Don't know.

> (2) What sort of size would a kernel + TCP/IP protocol take in terms of
> FLASH and RAM.

For just the system, you can probably get by with 128KB of code
space and 128KB of data.  Depends a lot on what you plan to do
with the network stack.  A common rule of thumb is 64KB per TCP
connection.

> (3) How difficult and typically how much time is it to get ECOS working
> on custom hardware.

Not including troublshooting the board?  A couple weeks
assuming its a variant of a supported processor.

> (4) I have developed multithreaded/socket based programs under Linux.
> Is developing under ECOS very different to this sort of programming
> environment, i.e. would I need to go through a steep learning curve to
> get something running under ECOS.

If by multithreaded you mean something like pthreads, then eCos
is very similar, especially with the EL/IX compatiblity stuff.

If you mean multi-threaded using fork(), then it's a bit more
of a redesign.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com