From: Bob Koninckx [mailto:bob.koninckx@mech.kuleuven.ac.be]
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2003 12:51 AM
To: Eddy Lin
Subject: Re: eCos with MPC555

FYI

Check the ecos-discuss list. A new thread regarding your question
started there after my reply :)

Bob

On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 21:52, Eddy Lin wrote:
> Hi,
>   I have just started my process of developing for the MPC555. I have read on eCos web site that you have experience in running eCos on the 555. Currently, I have a Axiom PB555 eval board with Wiggler BDM. I also have Cygwin with eCos 2.0b1. I have gotten as far as running 'configtool' for eCos and building it with a CME555 template. I know there is no PB555 template for the CME555 so I am wondering if you can lend me some help? The PB555 is basically a MPC555 with no external memory or peripherals. The eval board only has a BDM interface and a serial interface. The 555 is already loaded with Axiom's own debug monitor which functions through the serial port.
>   My questions are:
> 1. From your experience, is eCos too large to function without any external memory? If so, I would go ahead and add additional SRAM and Flash ROM. Ideally, I would like to add external SRAM and Flash anyway since my project will require much more memory than what's internal. But I just need to get started first.
> 2. Have you ever tried to interface the PB555 through BDM instead of through the serial port? If so, it would help greatly if you can point me to some resources on how to set that up. And if not, what do I need to run it through the serial port? Would I need to load RedBoot or a stub into the internal flash of the chip?
> 3. I noticed that in the eCos 2.0beta documenataion that CME555 documenatation is missing. Do you have a personal web site or information that you have put up that may be helpful?
>
> Thank you so much for your help!
>
> Regards,
>
> Eddy Lin
ir. Bob Koninckx
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
Division Production Engineering,                   tel.  +32 16 322535
Machine Design and Automation                      fax.  +32 16 322987
Celestijnenlaan 300B                  bob.koninckx@mech.kuleuven.ac.be
B-3001 Leuven Belgium               http://www.mech.kuleuven.ac.be/pma