Re: ecos - linux driver questions

On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 09:47, Florian Mume wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a student of electrical engineering and quite a newby in the great ecos
> world. I'm working on an Atmel AT91 custom board and got ecos already
> running :-)
> Could somebody please let me know, if there is a possibility to get a
> Wireless LAN PCMCIA card (perferable Orinoco) working in an Arm environment?
> If so, how complicated would it be?
> Is it in general possible to "port" a driver from Linux to eCos?

In theory, writing a network driver for eCos is pretty straight
forward.  The problem comes in the details, and these wireless
cards abound in them.

You may be able to take ideas and inspiration from Linux drivers,
but sadly you can't copy code since the licenses are not compatible.
Given that the Linux drivers for these cards (just the wireless
and card specific parts) comes to easily 15,000 lines of code,
this will be a daunting task.

My guess is that it would take an experienced eCos engineer a
minimum of 3 man weeks to get this working.

--
Gary D. Thomas <gary.thomas@mind.be>