Re: Does ECOS support CF devices?

"Gregg C Levine" <drwho8@worldnet.att.net> writes:

> Hello from Gregg C Levine
> As the subject says, "Does eCos support CF devices?".

Not really. CF presents an IDE interface. The only IDE support we
currently have is in RedBoot, and that is for read-only access to ext2
filesytems on disk.

CF really needs to be formatted with a VFAT filesystem, particularly
if it is going to be moved between different systems. We currently
don't have a VFAT implementation for eCos. I have one started, but it
is very low down on my TODO list.

> What I'm planning is
> to dump the working eCos material, redboot included, to a CF device, and
> thence to my target I386 board. Also I'll be doing extensive testing via
> Bochs, for my configuration. Their notes on the subject of raw devices, and
> the simulator suggest it might work under Linux, and probably not under
> Windows.
>
> For myself, I can't seem to be able to figure out why, but since I normally
> do not do my development for either under Windows, I am not worried.

If they are talking about direct access to a real CF device from Bochs
then I'm not surprised. The Windows Interfaces for this kind of thing
are probably very poor. If you want to just simulate a CF device, then
it should be possible to view is as a straightforward IDE device.