Re: building a hal variant for my specific application

Sivakamesh Thota <thota@cosmic.utah.edu> writes:

> hi,
> My application needs to have a hal varient to be compatible with the
> hardware I have ( Basically a pc board with VME bus with AMD ethernet
> support). Can I add the AMD ethernet driver support to the existing pc
> i386-elf template? My first objective is to build the custom redboot image
> for the my pc board. later I guess i can switch to the vme bus by adding
> the vme bus driver. I wonder is there anyway of just modifying the pc
> hardware template to facilitate the AMD ethernet device driver instead of
> Intel ethernet support. Since Intel ethernet cards being the default
> network drivers for pc boards. Any help regarding this is welcome.
> thanks
> bye
> thota

Take a look at the pc target in ecos.db. You will also see a pc_giga
target that substitutes an Intel i82544 gigabit ethernet card for the
i82559 card. Just do the same for your card: add a pc_amd target. You
will also need to add a CYGPKG_DEVS_ETH_I386_PC_PCNET package to
customize the generic AMD PCNET driver to the PC platform.

This is one of the areas where the eCos configuration mechanism is not
as flexible as it could be. Most targets have a fixed hardware
configuration: it's part of the microcontroller or on the
board. Targets with changeable hardware are not very well catered for
at present.