binary vs. counting semaphore and timed wait

In the process of porting an application to eCos, I came across the use
of a binary semaphore with a timed wait function.  The eCos
Cyg_Binary_Semaphore interface does not provide this.  But it sure looks
like the rest of the code is similar enough to the counting semaphore
that it could be implemented very easily.  However before I do this, is
there some particular reason this was not implemented?  I'd be very
interested to hear if this is a bad idea.

Thanks
David Brennan