Re: Port of eCos to 8051 uController?

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 03:04:46PM -0700, Teyssier, Luke wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I checked all the lists I could find, and didn't see any successful
> ports to the 8051 uController. Does anyone know of one, either finished
> or in progress?
>
> Also, if you'll indulge me:
>
> Assuming I could get enough external memory, are there any fundamental
> reasons you can think of why this couldn't be done with a reasonable
> effort?
>
> Would SDCC be a reasonable compiler to use for this?
>
> Thanks so much for your help,

I suggest you do some more digging on the list archives

1) The question about 8-bit processors has come up before. eCos does
   not currently support such devices and its considered not trivial
   to make it run on 8bit machines

2) The question of using something other than gcc has been discussed
   to death. eCos uses some gcc extensions so unless SDCC also
   supports these extensions, its not recommended.

   Andrew