redboot and application share the same serial port

Hi,

I have only one serial port on my board, so redboot and application CLI
has to share it. When I use redboot to load application and run, I see a
bunch of character starting with $ which is the gdb format, so I turned
off gdb mangler, I won't see the character string, but the supposed
output doesn't show up in the Hyperterminal either. In my application
program, I use both diag_printf and the tty driver that's based on
hardware serial driver, I really get confused about whether these two
things can work together on one console. Can anyone tell me how I can
use redboot to load application so that they share the same serial port
and console?

thanks a lot !

Zi