Re: Embedded Webserver

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Andrew Lunn wrote:

> > I know eCos comes with the GoAhead webserver
>
> Not quite correct:
>
> 1) GoAhead is not part of the eCos tree available from CVS. So i would
>    not say "comes with".

Well, I guess I should have said "supports."

> 2) eCos does "come with" a web server. See packages/net/httpd. This is
>    much smaller than GoAhead and is intended for CGI content. Its also
>    supports IPv6, which IMHO is will soon be very important for
>    embedded systems.

Most embedded webservers are not for serving content, as is mine. ;-)

> > If there is sufficient interest I can include the eCos porting layer as
> > part of the distribution.
>
> Because of the GPL license, your work cannot be included in the
> standard eCos distribution. But you are quite welcome to include the

Thats fine. I was more thinking about the portability layer rather than a
whole distribution. So I guess I can start work on it soon.

> eCos porting layer in your web server distribution.  Or it this layer
> uses the modified GPL that eCos uses, the layer could be distributed
> with eCos and the documentation points to the real server.

I'm open to either. I kinda posted to list because I do want to support
eCos and am curious as to what the eCos group typically does for stuff
like that.

I have no problem keeping the porting layer within my own tarball. I just
have to get familiar with eCos -- and maybe find some hardware to test
with.

Thanks,
Mark G.