ecos newbie

Well, I guess everyone has to be a newbie at something from time to time and
its my turn in the barrel with Cygwin & eCos.

I have Anthony Massa's new book and I am trying to get eCos running for the
first time. I was able to get Cygwin running from the CD with no issues. I
was also able to run "configtool-2.11-setup.exe" successfully. I am stuck on
the installation of binutils, gcc and insight. I suspect that I need to be
in a specific directory before I untar those files and I think the directory
is going to be c:\cygwin so it can create c:\cygwin\tools\H-i686-pc-cygwin,
but before I blythely (sic) go ahead, would someone be willing to guide me a
bit so I dont end up with pieces of files all over this hard disk. I would
really like to do this right the first time so as not to do it over again,
and again, and again.

The only significant difference in my setup is there is no D drive or
partition on this computer as described in Anthony's book. So windows
(non-capitialization intentional), Cygwin (capitalization intentional), eCos
and others are all on the C drive. The eCos CD is on the D drive.

Although I have been involved in windows and Linux for sometime, I am
somewhat unfamiliar with Cygwin and eCos, so a step-by-step until I get my
bearings would be greatly appreciated.

Charles Krinke
http://home.pacbell.net/cfk
cfk@pacbell.net