Re: eCos on the Dell 1184 AP?

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 07:55:00PM -0700, Greg Holdren wrote:

> > Has anyone considered trying to run eCos on the Dell 1184 wireless Access
> > Point?  The box costs $72 retail, is shipped with Linux inside, and the
> > processor is an ARM7 variety:
> >

> Is it running uClinux? The Samsung 4510B is supported by uClinux and eCos.

I believe so.  There's no MMU on the chip (so I'm told) so I'd guess that
it needs to be uClinux or something very similar.

> I found a samsung 4510B powered 4 port router/gateway for $29.95 at CompUSA.
> www.compusa.com Item number 290331.

Any idea of the original manufacturer?  Could it be Gemtek?

> It has 512KB flash, 8 MB SDRAM stock and a ADMtek 5 port ethernet switch
> chip. It will accept up to 4MB flash, (using 2MB myself) and I havn't
> checked if one can upgrade the SDRAM yet given the layout pads. Both serial
> ports brought out to headers (level shifting needed) and JTAG too.
>
> Runs uClinux for the SNDS100 right out of the box! Network and all!

Sounds very familiar.

Quick specs on the Dell:
2MB flash
16MB RAM
Kendin 5-port 10/100 Etherswitch-on-chip (one port is used internally).
Realtek 10Mbps Ethernet for "WAN" connection.

We've been working out the details here:

  http://ksmith.com/pipermail/linuxap-dev/2003-July/thread.html

> Im having problems with redbootROM for the SNDS100 booting up. I have
> redbootRAM working by xfering it via JTAG to 0x20000 after uClinux comes up.
> :) redbootROM is toggling some I/O so maybe this is interfering with the
> hardware. Havn't looked at the problem yet as I have been busy with getting
> redboot going on my EB40A and EB55 boards with extra memory.

There is a utility called 'sysconf' on the Dell box which *looks* as
though it will download a file via tftp and then boot from that.  I'm not
sure, as I haven't had time to play with it.

> > The biggest deal would be porting HostAP mode support to eCos.  I did some
> > digging and found no information regarding HostAP mode or wireless support
> > for eCos.  Is this an area of development, have I missed something, or is
> > it not yet of interest?
>
> I dont think anything has been contributed back to the repository if it has
> been done at all .

I think that wireless could be a big deal for eCos.  There are a lot of
these low-end units on the market, and Atheros just released a chipset
that combines 802.11a/b/g with a MIPS core.  It's designed to be the core
of an Access Point.

Thanks!

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh@ubiqx.mn.org